Summary of Qualifications
- 7 years' experience in a variety of writing-related roles, including technical writing, marketing communications, specialty research, and proofreading and editing;
- Over 1 year freelance experience as a technical writer and proofreader;
- Excellent project management skills, expertise in telecommuting, and deadline-oriented;
- Proficient with most of the industry-standard software tools, including Word, FrameMaker, RoboHelp OfficeX5/6, Photoshop, HTML, FTP, and Help&Manual.
- Created complete in-program and online help systems for three applications to date, using RoboHelp 6 HTML.
- Created and submitted bug reports and interface redesign suggestions.
- Developed the company technical documentation look-and-feel, in collaboration with the VP of Marketing.
Technical Writer, DapaSoft, November 2006 - February 2007
- Edited and added to an existing online help system for a web application for safety management, using RoboHelp Word.
- Created a complete online help system for a newly-developed web application using RoboHelp HTML.
Part-Time Instructor, Fanshawe College, September 2005 - December 2005
- Taught introductory and advanced business communication (Comm 1023 and 3013) to day school students;
- Developed class material from the textbook, existing course materials, and writing my own custom content;
- Record-keeping, including classlists, grade books, extensions, etc. using paper and the college's proprietary FanshaweOnline system.
Technical Writer/Editor, Liberty Street Software, July, 2005.
- Wrote additional help file material incorporating version changes and updates to the product;
- Updated and revised layout, formatting and design; proofreading and editing;
- Returned material under estimate with all required corrections.
Proofreader/Editor, EK Productions, December 2004-present.
- Corrected translated (Korean to) English documents to standard English grammar, spelling, syntax, and usage.
- Advised company representatives and other proofreaders on grammar, spelling, phrasing, and English naturalization.
- Returned documents electronically on deadline, in time for final processing and printing.
Specialty Researcher, Reed&Wright, May, 2004-present.
- Performed primary and secondary research on a variety of topics, including the Avro Arrow, the Ansari X Prize, systemic medical conditions, and current events.
- Reported data, analysis, and findings by telephone, print, and e-mail. Coordinated ongoing and future publication projects, including posters, CD-ROMs, and printed materials.
Technical Editor/Writer, RFC Services, September - November, 2004.
- Edited and re-wrote the manual for Visual Hindsight, using Help&Manual.
- Solicited and received feedback, additional information, and revisions from the developer.
- Ported the manual from HTML to Windows Compiled Help (.chm) format.
Technical Writer/Editor, nSolve, August - October 2004.
- Created the manuals (.chm and PDF) for nSolve's products nPoll and nCall, using Help&Manual.
- Liased with the developer for information, technical support, and editorial feedback.
- Performed some basic testing and bug-tracking, providing feedback on errors and malfunctions to the developer.
Technical Writer/Editor, Digital River, March - July 2004.
- Created a "Software Developer's Guide" for "Software Passport," using Word. (See siliconrealms.com)
- Liaised with developers, technical writers, and managers to gain project information.
- Compiled and created graphics and screenshots for the document, and designed the format.
- Completed the deliverable on time and under estimate.
Technical Writer/Editor, Silicon Realms Toolworks, December 2002 - April 2003; January, 2004.
- Re-wrote help file to conform to the new release of SRT's flagship product, Armadillo (See siliconrealms.com)
- Edited and corrected help file for spelling, grammar, orthography, consistency, and formatting (including code samples).
- Ported the manual from HTML Help to Help&Manual (.chm) Compiled Help format.
Technical Writer/Editor, The EHS Corporation, December 2001, - October 2003.
- Co-wrote 16 courseware modules in two courses for an extension occupational health, safety and environment course offered at the University of New Brunswick. (See www.unb.ca/extend/hsep/ and http://cel.unb.ca/prof_dev/hsep/theteam.php)
- Developed internal manuals for procedures and a proprietary online database system.
- Performed MSDS updating, information gathering, research, and reporting as necessary.
- Generated two new contracts for the company (one for technical writing, one for document management).
MA in Language and Professional Writing, University of Waterloo, 1999.
Honours BA in English Literature, University of Western Ontario, 1997.
- Windows 95/98/NT 4.0, some Linux.
- Microsoft Office, WordPerfect Suite, FrameMaker+SGML 6.0, RoboHelp OfficeX5/6, Help&Manual, Gadwin PrintScreen, SnagIt.
- Internet applications: browsers, e-mail clients, FTP clients, HTML, plus web use and research.
- Structured documentation, document design, visual/textual rhetoric. Photoshop, Acrobat.
- FileMaker Pro, Maximizer.
- Speak, read and write English, conversational French and Spanish.
Web Content Coordinator and Creator, Ability First Coalition.
- Coordinated web content for the new version of the website, liaising with Coalition members and the webmaster.
- Turned raw page content into formatted HTML.
References available on request.